When I was little, my grandmother sewed clothes for me. When we would visit her in Florida, I remember going to fabric stores with her and picking out fabric and patterns. She would sew some outfits, and mail them to me at home when she was finished. Then she moved next door, and it was like having a personal tailor. She made me pants, shorts, dresses, and skirts. I loved them. I still have two of the dresses she made for me--one I wore for May Day in 5th grade, and the other I wore in my 6th grade graduation.
She taught me some basic sewing. She taught me to thread the sewing machine and fill the bobbin. She would have taught me more, but I wasn't patient enough. I didn't want to learn to read a pattern, cut it out, cut out the fabric, etc. I just wanted to sit down and sew. I sewed a lot of drawstring bags. I made everyone I knew a drawstring bag. I still use the safety pin trick to pull the drawstring back through my pajama pants when I accidentally pull it out.
My grandmother passed away in 2008. My mom asked me if I wanted her sewing machine. I said yes, of course. I tried it out. I remembered how to thread the machine. It seemed to need a little repair. It sat for awhile. For my birthday this year, I asked Sweet LJ to get it repaired for me. He did, and it sat for another month or so. Then, finally, I went to the fabric store and picked out 2 patterns and 2 fabrics. Then I started.
And it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Granted, my pattern was a baby dress for Mary Lawton with only 4 pieces (6 counting interfacing). I'm not saying it turned out perfectly. The facings are a total mess, and my seams are crooked, but it's wearable and it was fun. Maybe Gran is guiding my fingers. Thanks, Gran. I miss you.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
A new hobby
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wonderful! You did a great job. You should try the Oliver S Lazy Days skirt. The pattern is free, and it is so easy that I made 2 for O last summer with very little help. I'm planning to make matching skirts for my girls for this summer...cheezy, I know, but cute :)
Thanks for the tip, Melissa. I'll check it out. I've already thought about making ML's doll a matching dress, and maybe, *maybe*, making her another dress and me a matching skirt!
Post a Comment