Monday, August 16, 2010

18 months old!!

Mary Lawton started this milestone day off with a big bowl of oatmeal and a trip to see Dr. M for her 18 months well visit. She continues to be "long and lean" according to the doc.

Weight: 22 pounds, 6 ounces (25th percentile)
Length: 33.5 inches (90-95th percentile)

Don't get me wrong when I say this--she's not exactly chubby (but she does have cute thigh creases and dimples at her elbows)--but I can't imagine that 75% of kids her age weigh more than she does.

More and more she makes us laugh out loud. For example, last night in the bath, we had this conversation. She was a mess.

Me: We have a very dirty girl.
ML: Yes, you do.

She just moved up to the Toddler 1B classroom, even though technically her birthday falls too late to be in that room. Her teachers thought she was developmentally ready to move up and would be bored staying with the young one-year-olds. We were thrilled. I'd rather her be the youngest kid in the class than the oldest.

She continues to be sassy, willful, and stingy. We have to remind her more and more to say please and thank you and to use her words, rather than whine and demand, and that not everything is hers.

She's stringing together more and more phrases and sentences like:
  • Where's Daddy?
  • I do walk. (which means I want to walk.)
  • No more
  • What's that?
  • Open this. (Yesterday she tried out, "open top.")
She loves to sing. Her favorites are:
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • Itsy-Bitsy Spider
  • 5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
  • Thumbkin
  • ABC song
  • Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. I think because it's the same tune as the ABC song. She merges them into "A, B, C, D, up above..." and that's about all she knows.
  • If You're Happy and You Know It
  • Here's a Ball for Baby (one of our family favorites that was passed down from my great-grandmother)
She can only sing a few words of each song. Usually she initiates it with the hand movements, and we have to sing while she moves her hands.


Love you, Shorty Shortcakes! We look forward to finding out what each new day with you will bring. We can't wait!

0 comments: