Last Labor Day, Mary Lawton and I ran our first race together. We planned to run the same race this year, and I even recruited cousins Alisa and Lilly to run with us. As we were walking to the start, I realized I was having trouble controlling Bob. He was pulling hard to the right. The right rear tire was completely flat. Poor Bob.
I registered, anyway, while I considered my options. I could try to run on the flat--it was only 3.1 miles. We could cheer for Alisa and Lilly in their first race together. I could call Sweet LJ and tell him to try to get there asap to fix the tire or stay with Mary Lawton. I could ask a race worker if he had any duct tape to tape the flat tire around the rim, so at least the rim would have a little protection.
In the end, the nice race worker found me some duct tape and taped the tire to the rim. Soon after, Sweet LJ met us at the race after his bike ride--which he'd planned to do all along--and bravely tried to patch and pump the tube using his bike supplies. The tube was completely blown out, though, and too big for all his patches. I ran with Alisa and Lilly while Mary Lawton played with her dad on the playground, and they cheered us on as we finished.
It was a lot of fun, although I did miss running with my little Shorty. Thanks for the good times, Alisa and Lilly!

0 comments:
Post a Comment