[This post might be a little TMI for some. You've been warned.]
I pump 2 or 3 times a day at work, and I use a small manual pump. Each time takes me about 15 minutes, and I get 3-6 ounces. I intended to get an electric pump before returning to work but never did. I feel like I'm pretty efficient with the manual pump, plus it's really light and really quiet. Should I invest in an electric pump? Should I rent one? How much faster will an electric pump be? Will I collect more milk? I really don't know how much longer I'll keep this up--at least 2 months. I don't mind the little pump at all, but I wonder whether I'm wasting time.
Thanks for your comments.
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Pumping questions
Posted by Jennifer at 7:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Wow! I can't believe you are getting that much milk with a manual pump! That's fantastic! I used an electric pump because the manual just didn't work for me. The electric one is easy, and if you're producing that much for a manual pump you'll probably get much more with an electric one :)
Manual pumps are so much worse and tear up your boobs (in my opinion). I bought a medella in a bag. It looks professional and I left it at work. I took the piping and parts that needed to ne washed home everyday but left the big part so I didn't have to lug it back and forth everyday. Also, if you want to keep it up watch your production. I was always fine at first but then saw a huge drop off after a few weeks at work on the pump. i had to pump more often than I would feed. I used the same pump for both of my girls. So even thoughit wa a lot up front I used it through two kids and it is still in great shape. Medella is the best.
Electric pumps are definitely faster and you'll probably get more as Melissa said above. If you're planning on having more children then I would invest in an electric pump. My Medela has the plug-in for a car or outlet so when we've been on the road traveling, I can pump and give the baby a bottle within 10 minutes - nice picture, huh? That accessory has actually gotten more use than I ever thought it would!
Thanks, ladies, for taking the time to respond.
my friend and i have shared a pump for our babies. we have a medela and each bought our own parts ( tubing, etc.) it has worked out great! i have heard that the rentals from the hospital or lactation consultants are even faster than the ones you can buy and run about $45 a month!
Post a Comment