Friday, March 13, 2009

I need advice.

If my precious girl isn't sleeping or eating, she's screaming. This is a recent development--just started this week. She doesn't cry for hours at a stretch, so I don't know whether it's truly colic. Just regular (bad) gas? I try everything and usually end up putting a hysterically crying baby in her carseat for a trip somewhere. It makes me sad, since I can't stop it, so I often end up crying, too.

She has her one-month check-up next week, so I'll talk to the doctor about it, but I'd love to hear your advice--or even just a "you're not a bad mom. Your baby loves you."

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I remember times like this when O was her age. It's scary and frustrating. I had to give up all dairy until O was 6 months old and that helped. Do you have a sling or a moby wrap? Maybe wearing her close to you while you move throughout your day would help...I remember putting O in the sling and going for a walk, and she almost always fell asleep. I think she was a little older than ML though. Oh, my mom always did the 5 S's with O and that always helped. We called her the baby whisperer. I can't remember what the 5 s's are, but I can ask her if you are interested. Good luck and you're a good mom :)

Nancy said...

Hey,
I am a friend of Ann Wimberly's and stumbled on your blog recently. (You can get to my blog from hers.) I keep coming back because our baby girls were born right at the same time (mine was born 2-12). She is my third, and unfortunately I have had my share of screaming babies. My second did what you are describing for 5 weeks before he was finally diagnosed with acid reflux and put on Prevacid. After 4 days, I had a happy baby boy. Now my newborn seems to be on the same path so we are trying the Prevacid with her. It's only day 3 so I am hoping for a turn around soon on the crying front. I pray she stops screaming and becomes the happy girl I know she wants to be :)

And no, you are not a bad mom. I can tell just from reading your posts about your daughter. Good luck!

Nancy said...

I just realized you and Ashley are friends as well - she and I were good friends in college which is actually how I know Ann Wimberly... small world.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Melissa. I've used the carrier quite a bit in the last few days. She goes right to sleep, and I can get stuff done. I think one of my books has the 5's explained, so I'll work through those.

Nancy! I found your blog months ago through AW's, I think, and have loved reading it--partly because our girls were due so close together. Thanks for the reflux info. She has been spitting up more. Does that go along with reflux?

Thanks, ladies. I appreciate the advice and pats on the back.

julie said...

i remember those days and i am headed for them again soon! it can be so frustrating. kate liked us to sing right in her face while in the baby bjorn. just remember babies are supposed to cry a certain amount everyday for proper lung development!

Unknown said...

Growth Spurt? When Eli was 3 weeks old, he went through a growth spurt. If he wasn't sleeping, he wanted to eat. We're talking every 1.5-2 hours...formula, breastmilk, formula, breastmilk. I kept feeding and feeding, thinking..."Am I feeding him too much?" But if I didn't feed him, he screamed. Also, when he passes a lot of gas, Mylicon drops (simethicone) seem to help him. We also tried practicing the sway, swaddle, shush...but Eli only responded to the swaying. He hated to be swaddled (too confining, i think). You're a wonderful Mommy.