Tuesday, January 20, 2009

35 weeks appointment and a little drama

On Thursday I had a regular appointment, this time with Dr. A. Liked her, too!

My BP: 100/70
My weight: -2.5 lbs. I really can't explain this.
Val's heart rate: This is where the drama unfolds.

Dr. A found Val's heart beat with the doppler just fine, but she monitored it for much longer than usual. She asked whether I was having a girl or a boy. I told her a girl. (Boys' heart rates typically are lower than girls'.) She said she wasn't happy with Val's heart rate. It was fluctuating from 110 to the 120s, but not really any higher. She decided to call down to Labor & Delivery and get me in so they could monitor her heart rate for an extended period.

So, Dr. A called L&D and talked to the doctor on call, who happened to be Dr. G, my regular OB. I went downstairs, filled out some forms (because technically they were admitting me), and about 15 minutes later they gave me a room. I put on a gown, they strapped the external monitor to me, and then they monitored Val's little heart for about 30 minutes. A resident came in and checked the paper trail and said everything looked fine, and then Dr. G came in and concurred. The baseline, they said, is 120, and Val's heart rate was staying right around there with an occasional jump into the 140s and dip into the 110s. They let me go home.

I was a little panicky. All I could think about was what if they admit me for a C-section, and I'm feeling totally unprepared. There are a million little things I feel like I need to do, and I thought I had about 5 weeks to do them. This weekend I did some of the little things, and I do feel more prepared. I think my baby is just a cool, laid-back little dude like her dad, but I still told her please no more drama.

0 comments: