Monday, November 23, 2009

9 months check-up

Mary Lawton's 9-months well-baby visit was last Wednesday.

Height: 28.5 inches (80th percentile!)
Weight: 17 lbs., 10 oz. (25th percentile)

The nurse went through the long list of developmental questions, including, "does she understand 'no?'" I'm sure I looked at her like she was crazy. She's 9 months old. She does not understand "no." I asked the doctor about this. She said, "well, if you say something like, 'no, don't touch that,' does she understand you?" I said, "she looks at me, she hears me, but I don't think she understands what it means." Doctor: "Ok, that's fine." Whatever.

The pediatrician had received some H1N1 vaccines that day, so we had the option of getting one. Sweet LJ and I had discussed it several times but hadn't come to a decision. So, I called him for one final chat, and we decided to do it. She's in daycare, and I work with filthy college students, so it makes sense in our household. She handled the shot very bravely. The horrible part was the finger prick to test for anemia and lead (since we live in an older home). Please, pediatric workers, don't call it a "finger prick" when after you prick her finger you squeeze and wring her tiny hand as she SCREAMS to fill a vial of blood. Please. Set me up for what is really going to happen. I was so horrified I almost stopped them, but I knew I'd just have to come back another day and start all over again.

Other than that, the visit was boring and Mary Lawton was perfect. Note to self: Always bring a snack to distract her during the wait.

1 comments:

Melissa said...

I can't believe she is already 9 months old! The h1n1 shot is a hard decision...I agonized over it for weeks, and we finally decided to get the flu mist for O (and we both got the shot). It just seemed to risky to not get it with a new baby in the house. I agree about the finger prick...O and E both had to get their heels pricked as newborns and it was a HORRIBLE experience. Although, I think it was harder on me than on them :(