Saturday, November 15, 2008

Product review: The Mother-to-Be Maternity Support

In case anyone ever is in the market for a belly band/bra, I decided to write up what I think about the Mother-to-Be Maternity Support I ordered. What I read about it suggested that it might relieve some sciatic nerve pain and pressure on my bladder. I mainly got it to wear when I run.

It arrived in 4 pieces, and I actually had to read the instructions to figure out what to velcro together. There is an under-belly brace that hooks around you with its own velcro strap, a back brace that hooks to the belly brace, and an optional over-the-belly strap for "maximum stability." The day it arrived I wore it to walk the dog. The instructions say that if you want super-deluxe support, then you should lie down on your back and make the back brace tighter. I did this, and about halfway through the walk I thought I was going to pass out. Too tight. Sweet LJ also said I was walking slightly sideways, but that might have been unrelated to the M-t-B.

Today I ran in it for the first time, and I liked it.

Is it attractive? No, it is very unattractive. I wore a shirt over it so no one could see it. It looks just like the photo.

Would I wear it in summer? No way. Nothing about this item is breathable. In fact, all I could think about while running is that if it were summer, I would be one gigantic chafe after wearing the M-t-B, even with a shirt under it.

Did it move around? No. I was worried it would ride up, but it stayed put. This might have been because I wore a shirt under it.

Did it relieve pressure on my bladder? I think it really did help. I didn't get that desperate feeling 15 minutes into my run like I usually do.

Are my sides sore? Lately, my sides sometimes are sore from running, but today they aren't. Coincidence?

Did I wear the optional velcro strap? No, but I might need maximum stability later on.

Does my butt hurt? No, and usually by this time of day it does. Another coincidence?

I'll keep wearing it and see how it goes.

11/17/08 Update: I ran in it this morning, and I still like it!

2 comments:

spokanikki said...

that would make an awesome holster for my gut!

Jennifer said...

yes, it would provide maximum stability